Rest in peace to all who have lost their lives in these tragic events...

Read along:

15. Miklos Feher

On 25 January 2004, Fehér was playing in a soccer game that was being broadcast live on television. Fehér had just come on as a substitute and assisted another player just off the bench in reaching a goal. After receiving a yellow card, the camera’s were pointed directly at him when he suddenly bent forward in pain and then collapsed. Members of both teams rushed to his side in an effort to help. CPR was performed by the medic team before an ambulance arrived and he was rushed to the hospital. His condition was covered by the Portuguese media throughout the day and, before midnight, his death was confirmed, the cause of death being cardiac arrhythmia brought on by an underlying heart disease. Fehers team retired his number, 29, in his honor. A delegation, which included his entire team, travelled to Hungary to present Fehers parents with the 2004-2005 league championship medal. Just before their 2010 FIFA World Cup qualifier game, they also laid a wreath next to a metal bust of Feher, in tribute of his memory.

14. Ghana Soccer Fans

In 2001, Ghana soccer fans were stampeded to death during a game between two of the country’s most popular teams. The stampede was a result of fans becoming angry during the last five minutes of the game. The score was close and the game was intense. Fans start throwing bottles and chairs onto the field. The police officers on duty fired tear gas into the crowd in an attempt to stop the chaos. However, the tear gas only made things worse as people began running for the gates, and a stampede occurred. People were completely crushed by the pounding feet of the fleeing fans. While police reports claimed about 50 deaths, local hospital reports said to have seen about as many as 100 deaths related to the incident. It was the fourth soccer related tragedy to occur in Africa within that month.

13. Owen Hart

In May 1999 the 34-year-old WWF wrestler fell to his death during the Over the Edge pay-per-view event. He was being lowered with a harness and grapple line into the ring from a height of about 78 feet. The plan was to keep the entrance comedic as most of his entrances were. He was to be lowered, and then act as though he was tangled, before releasing himself onto the ring. Hart had only performed the stunt a few times before, and was likely unfamiliar with the equipment. His wife suggested that he may have accidentally triggered an early release. TV viewers luckily did not see the accident, however audience and crew members did. Afterward, while Hart was being worked on by medical personnel inside the ring, the event only broadcasted views of the audience in shock. Furthermore, television announcer Jim Ross repeatedly told those watching live on pay-per-view that what had just transpired was not a wrestling angle or storyline and that Hart was hurt badly, emphasizing the seriousness of the situation. Hart was transported to Truman Medical Center in Kansas City. While several attempts to revive him were made, he died from his injuries; some believe he died in the ring. That cause of death was from internal bleeding from when he fell chest first onto the rope. The WWF management decided to let the show go on despite Harts death. Harts family later sued the WWF company for how ill practiced the stunt was, and for possible malfunctioning equipment.

12. Shannon Stone

On July 7, 2011, 39-year-old, firefighter Shannon Stone took his 6-year-old son, Cooper, to see the Texas Rangers play the Oakland Athletics at Rangers Ballpark in Arlington. Their tickets were front row in the left field. On the way to the game, they bought Cooper a glove, in high hopes that they may catch a ball. During the game, a foul ball was picked up by Josh Hamilton. He lofted the ball up to the stands for a fan to grab. Shannon leaned over the railing and lost his balance. He fell 20 feet to the ground, head first, onto pavement. Shannon died very shortly after the accident, in the hospital. The next night players and fans showed their mourning by flying the flags at half-mast and wearing black ribbons. They also had a moment of silence for the late father. After this tragedy, Hamilton swore off throwing souvenirs to fans. This led to a letter from Shannons’ Mother Suzanne Stone. She pleaded with the baseball player to never end the tradition of throwing foul ***** to fans. She said this was nothing more than an unfortunate accident, and that her son’s death would be in vain if it were to end such a long lived tradition.

11. Caleb Moore

The young Texan, Caleb Moore started off his career in extreme sports, racing ATVs when he was noticed by a scout. This same scout suggested that Caleb begin snowmobiling, however being from Texas made that complicated as there was obviously no snow. To fix this problem, Caleb’s father created a pit for him to practice in. Caleb’s first X-Games competition was in 2010 where he got a Bronze medal in Freestyle. Every year from then on, Moore medaled at the Winter X-Games. His winning streak was ended in January 2013, however, when on his last jump Caleb tried to do a back-flip. Despite having done the trick many times before, this time was different. This time the front of the snowmobile caught the lip of the ramp and he flipped over the handlebars. The 450-pound vehicle crashed down on his chest. With help, Caleb was surprisingly able to walk away from the accident. But the hope was short lived. He went to the hospital and they discovered bleeding around the heart. Caleb succumbed to his injuries on January 31st; he was 25-years-old. He has been the only person killed in the history of the X-Games, and has proved that while practice does make perfect, it does not make you invincible.

10. Port-Au-Prince Soccer Fans

On August 20, 2005 during a U.S backed soccer game in Haiti, a complete massacre occurred. The game was known as “Play for Peace”, and was financed and sponsored by the U.S. Agency for International Development, as an attempt to get youth more interested in sports than gang activity. Hooded police officers entered the stadium and ordered everyone to the ground, as they fired random shots into the stands. Witnesses also report that outside the stadium, civilians with machetes, along with more officers were waiting to attack people trying to flee. The body count reached up to about 50. This was a second attack, the first had been two months earlier in a poor neighborhood. A police chief was questioned about the events but their only comment was that an investigation would be done. U.N. and government officials explained the machete killings as a reaction from angry residents who resorted to spontaneous vigilante justice after becoming fed up with gang violence. However, many surviving witnesses claim that the machete wielding citizens were criminals that are paid by police to kill and give out information. This led to everyone thinking of this as a more planned out massacre, opposed to a spontaneous killing.

9. Dale Earnhardt

The 49 year old American race car driver had gained worldwide fame as a stock car driver for NASCAR, before his tragic death in 2001. The accident happened in the final lap of the race when Earnhardt swerved off the race track onto the flat apron and went back on it, only for another racer to run into the passenger side of his car. Earnhardt crashed into the retaining wall, nose first, at an angle that caused critical damage. He crashed at an estimated speed of 155 to 160 miles per hour. The official NASCAR rules state that any driver who is involved in a crash and is unable to drive back to the pits or who must be removed from his or her car, must report to the infield hospital. However, in more severe cases such as this one, the driver may be sent directly to the emergency trauma room at the major hospital near the circuit. Less than two hours after the accident, NASCAR president Mike Helton announced Earnhardt's death. The official cause of death was reported to be a severe skull fracture. After Earnhardt’s death NASCAR began extensive focus and training on safety for drivers. Earnhardt's funeral was held on February 22, 2001, at the Calvary Church. And shortly after his death a tradition of fans holding up three fingers, to honor him, during the final lap was introduced. The three fingers are made to represent his very popular car number.

8. Doug Dedge

A 31-year-old Floridian, specially trained in contact karate, Doug Dedge travelled to Kiev, Ukraine to compete in the International Super Challenge, in 1998. The tournament was set up so it would be team Ukraine versus the world team. Dedge was one of three American fighters in the tournament. On March 16th, he faced Yehven Zolotaryov in a “Battle without rules”. The fight lasted about five minutes when Zolotaryov pinned Dedge and punched him about 14 times, basically bludgeoning him. Dedge tapped out after the 14th punch. After tapping out, Dedge then tried to stand, but staggered about and clenched his chest before falling to the floor. He was taken to a hospital where he died roughly 2 days later from severe brain trauma. There was never any charge against Yehven, however this did lead to a dispute about stronger fighting regulations that we see today.

7. Kirk Franklin

The 42-year-old man from Saginaw lost his life one fatal day during a NASCAR race. The most tragic thing about Franklins death was that it was at the fault of his own. Police reports claim that he shot himself in the head, during the N.R.A 500 NASCAR race in April 2013. Franklin allegedly pulled a gun out and quickly ended his own life after a heated argument. Alcohol may have also been a factor. The argument and death occurred in the infield of the Texas Motor Speedway. Emergency responders were called and the area was blocked off but the race continued. There were many witnesses to the event, however, no one was ever put into danger. Police and witnesses were unaware of Franklins relationship with the others involved in the argument.

6. Tom Cutinella

During a high school football game in late 2014, the junior student from Shoreham-Wading River High School, collapsed on the field. The injury occurred during the third quarter of the varsity game. Dozens of teammates, relatives and friends waited at the hospital for an update on his condition. As news spread of his death, caused by a severe head injury, students cried out. Two people fell to the ground, weeping, and dozens of friends and teammates consoled each other, according to witnesses.

5. Benny “The Kid” Paret

The Cuban fighter, Benny “The Kid” Paret, left his family behind so that he could box in the U.S. He won the Welterweight Championship in May 1960, and his very first title defense was against Emile Griffith on April 1st 1961. He won the fight, as well as a second one that followed. Despite Parets’ first two meetings with Griffith being brutal, he agreed to a match at Madison Square Garden for ABC’s Friday Night Fights event. At the weigh-in, a fight almost broke out between the two when Paret patted Griffith’s rear and whispered a gay slur in Spanish. Griffith lunged at him, but the two were broken up before anything happened. The fight began on March 24th, 1962 and almost ended in the sixth round when Paret nearly knocked Griffith out. However, Griffith was saved by the bell. When round 12 came around, the tables turned. The accouncer speculated that “this will probably be the tamest round of the entire fight.” Seconds after this ironic comment, Griffith came in strong and cornered Paret. Griffith reportedly punched Paret 24 times in the head, and basically beat him to death. The entire fight was on live broadcast television. The referee intervened, and Paret fell limp in the corner. He never woke up from the fight, and died ten days later in the hospital. The fight is known as one of the most notorious boxing matches of all time. It led to boxing not being aired on TV again until the 70s and it also ended the referees respected career, as many saw the fatality as his fault. The fight was the center of a 2005 documentary entitled Ring of Fire: The Emile Griffith Story. At the end of the documentary Griffith who had been stricken for years with guilt over the incident, was introduced to Paret's son. The son embraced Griffith and told him he was forgiven.

4. Jimmy Morgan

On February 8, 1981, James “Jimmy” Morgan was competing in FIBT World Bobsled Championships in Cortina d’Ampezzo Italy. The championship was covered by ABC’s Wide World of Sports and it was the first assignment for the color commentator John Morgan, who was Jimmy’s brother. It was a very warm day and was causing the ice to melt which made for very unideal conditions for the race. The melting ice caused the wood that the track was made of to be exposed, which is very dangerous for sledders. Jimmy was driving a four-man bobsled, and he made too sharp of a turn. That combined with the conditions of the track led to Jimmy being slung head first into a wall. John dropped his headset and ran to his brothers side, to assist him in a trip to the hospital. Jimmy was unfortunately later pronounced dead from the severe head injuries while at the hospital. This tragedy, along with the death of a stuntman for a movie, led to the reconstruction of the track to make it a better fit for even the worst weather.

3. Brittanie Cecil

13-year-old Ohio native, Brittanie Cecil, was an avid hockey fan. On March 16th, 2002, using tickets that were given as a gift for her upcoming 14th birthday, Brittanie was watching the Columbus Blue Jackets play the Calgary Flames. With 12:10 remaining on the clock, in the second period and the Blue Jackets up 1 to 0, a shot by the Blue Jackets' Espen Knutsen was deflected by the Flames' Derek Morris and went over the glass behind the net, striking Brittanie in the left temple. The game carried on, as the players were unaware of the serious injury they had inflicted. In fact, despite having a fractured skull, Brittanie was able to walk to the first aid station, and was sent to a children's hospital, with the thought that nothing was wrong besides a gash on her forehead. The Blue Jackets went on the win the game 3 to 1. The next day Brittanie appeared to be recovering well. She was both communicative and ambulatory, and without complaints of pain or dizziness. A CT-scan, however, had failed to catch a torn vertebral artery, resulting in severe clotting and swelling of the brain. On March 18, she developed a high fever and lost consciousness as a result. She died nearly 48 hours after being struck, on March 18, 2002, two days before her birthday. Her funeral was held and after, a procession of more than 150 cars followed the hearse to the cemetery, where she was buried. The Blue Jackets general manager attended on behalf of the team, and the game following the accident featured a moment of silence for the teenage fan. Morris and Knutsen, the two players involved in the puck accident, expressed remorse for what had happened, and in December 2010, Knutsen met with Brittanie's family, bringing some closure to both parties. The accident led to a change in net policy for the NHL.

2. Tom Simpson

In 1962, Tom Simpson, the captain of the Great Britain Cycle Team finished sixth in the Tour de France. Three years later in 1965 he won a World Championship. After two years without competing he joined in on the 1967 Tour De France. At the beginning of the day Tom already seemed to be not feeling well, he was pale and seemed clammy. During the 13th stage of the race, when cyclists have to ride up Mont Ventoux, was when Toms’ real trouble began. About 2 kilometers away from the peak, Simpson started to lose balance while riding and eventually fell off his bike. It is rumored that he whispered to emergency responders “put me back on my bike.” Shortly after his collapse, a police helicopter took Simpson to a nearby hospital. An investigation into his death showed that his system was full of amphetamines, and that he had more pills in his bag.

1. 1955 Le Mans Disaster

Le Mans, an annual 24-hour endurance race features individual drivers or teams competing against each other to see who can complete the most laps in that 24-hour period. The best that French Race car driver Pierre Levegh ever did was score a 4th place finish in 1951, an 8th place finish in 1952 and a broke down car in 1953. In 1955, Levegh switched from his previous team, Talbot, to American John Fitch’s team and was driving a Mercedes-Benz 300 SLR. The race began on June 1, 1955 and about two hours into the race Levegh was driving down a straight away doing 150 miles per hour. He was near the fan pits when he clipped Lance Macklin who was driving an Austin-Healey. Levegh’s car flipped and crashed into a wall that housed spectators, sending large pieces of debris into the crowd. Macklin’s car spun, but he was unhurt in the accident. Levegh was killed on impact, 83 spectators were killed and another 120 were injured either from flying car parts or the fire that followed the incident. The 1955 race is named the deadliest crash in racing history.